IntroductionWorld Relief Canada connects Canadians to local networks — most often indigenous NGOs set up by local churches who share our values and sense of mission. The quality and effectiveness of WRCanada’s assistance is strengthened through these local partners who have a strong connection to the communities they serve and an enhanced awareness of the local context. When disasters strike, local partners who have operations established on the ground are often able to respond quickly and appropriately. Because projects are delivered by local people, we have a greater assurance that our resources go directly to the areas of need.
These local networks & partners
- originate from local settings and networks
- know their communities and regions
- recruit and train strong indigenous leadership
- adhere to WRCanada standards for program planning and implementation
- aspire to high levels of competence and self-sufficiency
- commit to increasing their capacity for local initiatives with local and international resources
World Relief Canada is committed to strengthening our partners, investing deeply in their capacity to implement relief and long-term development. Foremost, WRCanada provides the resources required for interventions and works closely with our partners to assess needs and determine appropriate action.
WRCanada builds capacity in local leadership by
- Training local managers in program planning, supervision, execution and evaluation
- Helping local leadership to identify required skills and then providing the resources to build these skills
- Helping partners develop organizational policies and procedures
- Improving computer systems and other technology
- Building local networks to encourage organizations to work together, sharing expertise and resources
World Relief Canada’s Mission is to respond to the relief and development needs of the world’s poor in the name of Jesus Christ, through our global network of Christian organizations, in partnership with Canadian and overseas Churches.
World Relief Canada’s Vision is to see people responding, with compassion and justice, to the needs of the poor, oppressed and suffering in ways that bring healing and transformation in the world’s poorest communities.
World Relief Canada's Core Values are the essential cornerstones upon which we do our work and are reflected in the following six areas.
- Economic Justice
- Empowerment and Equity
- Environmental Integrity
- Mutual Independence
- Financial Accountability